The Fokwa research group is interested in novel inorganic solids derived from the combination of main group elements (mainly boron), and metals (mainly transition metals). Much emphasis lies on the elucidation of the crystal and electronic structures as well as structure-bonding-property correlations of such new compounds, thus enabling their possible applications as materials for energy applications (magnetic, magnetocaloric, superconducting and spintronic materials) as well as refractory materials (hard and superhard materials). Hence, a variety of solid state synthetic methods as well as state of the art analytical and computational methods (mainly DFT) are commonly applied in a synergistic manner to achieve these goals.
Some of our major discoveries include:
Unexpected Synergy between Magnetic Iron Chains and Stacked B6 Rings in
Published in: Angew. Chem. 2014. Selected as "Hot Paper" by the Editors.
Drastic Change of Magnetic Interactions and Hysteresis through Site Preferences
Published in: Chem. Mater. 2014, 26, 1967.
All-boron Planar B6-ring observed in a solid state phase (Ti7Rh4Ir2B8) for the first time
Published in: Angew. Chem. 2012, 124, 1734, and Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 1702. Selected as "Hot Paper" by the Editors. Highlighted in Chemical and Engineering News (02/2012).
Chemical Modeling of Mixed Occupations and Site Preferences
Published in: Inorg. Chem. 2012, 51, 5677. Highlighted in Nachrichten aus der Chemie (03/2013).
Iron ladders induce ferromagnetism in complex ruthenium-rich borides
Published in: Inorg. Chem. 2008, 47, 2113. Highlighted in Nachrichten aus der Chemie (03/2009).
Trigonal planar B4-units observed in Ti1.6Os1.4RuB2 for the first time
Published in: Chem. Commun. 2006, 4419. Highlighted in Nachrichten aus der Chemie (03/2007)
For more information, please feel free to have a look in our Research Section
Graduation news and Diploma award ceremony
- Prof. Justin Nenwa (University of Yaounde I) stays as a visiting researcher in our group (August 2014)
- Mohammed Mbarki receives a scholarship from Deutsche Akademische Austausch Dienst (DAAD) (June 2014)
- Rachid Touzani receives a scholarship from Deutsche Akademische Austausch Dienst (DAAD) (May 2014) and Gesellschaft für Deutsche Chemiker (GDCh) (June 2014)
- Laura Lutz (Iowa State University) stays for a visiting research in our group (May 2014)
- Sebastian Peter and Diana Trunina started their undergraduated research (Bachelor thesis) in our group
last update: 2014-09-12